Alright you guys, I made it through the Fast Five week! It wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be! Was I hungry? Yes I was… But it showed me just how much I was overeating and eating so much of the wrong thing. There are some things I wish I knew prior to starting my first week and I wanted to share those things with you:
- Start dieting at least 3 days BEFORE starting your Fast Five (or Turbo) week. The reason for this is mainly to shrink your stomach a bit. I had a farewell to fatty foods day right before I started. I’m talking, ice cream, Taco Bell, chips, salt, soda, etc. Not only did this make me WAY hungrier than I should’ve been, but it made breaking those cravings that much harder. Ease into it by eating healthy before you begin.
- Load up on non-starchy vegetables!! All non-starchy veggies are essentially “free” on the Nutrisystem plan. I highly recommend getting frozen steamable vegetables. They’re convenient and go well with nearly every meal. Riced cauliflower is a staple in my freezer. Wash, cut and prepare your veggies to make it convenient to snack on them. When you get hungry, and you will get hungry, indulge in as many veggies as you want.
- Drink plenty of water. A lot of this first week was teaching myself what type of hunger I was experiencing. Was I bored? Was I craving? Or was I legitimately hungry? One thing that helped this was to drink 8 oz of water and see how I felt afterward. Some great advice I came across was when you’re feeling hungry, ask yourself if you’d eat a vegetable. If you would, then you’re hungry. If you wouldn’t you’re either bored or craving.
- Don’t trust your farts. You laugh, but buddy all that extra fiber has to make an exit and for me it was a matter of luck and prayer that I made it to the bathroom in time. This was only for the first day. After that I think my body adjusted just fine.
- Have fun with your food. Don’t be scared to add vegetables, spices, hot sauce or any “extras” you would like. This is your plan and it’s preparing you for life beyond Nutrisystem. Enjoy experimenting with new tastes.
- Plate your food. I highly encourage you to plate your food. Take a picture even! Be that person on Instagram taking pictures of their meals. If you just eat your meals from a pouch this diet is going to get stagnant fast. You’ll get bored with it. Make it fun! Liven up the meals and experiment. Look for inspiration on Instagram or on Nutrisystem’s website.
- Exercise! Get active for 10 minutes 3 times a day. Start slow. I started by just walking a mile with a Miracle Miles DVD my mom passed onto me. Dedicate just 30 minutes out of your day to slightly elevating your heart rate. This one is a toughy for me. With 2 small kids it’s hard to get a workout regimen. So I made small changes. Instead of getting my groceries out of the car in 1 trip, I grabbed one or two bags at a time and did lunges while bringing them in. I looked crazy but ask me if I give a damn?! I also did squats when I found myself standing still. I know it’s silly, but just keeing your mind on your goal and being healthy makes a difference.
- Get support! I’m really lucky to be on this journey with my mom. We encourage each other, share recipes, get each other motivated and are eachother’s cheerleaders. It’s really helpful. If you can’t find a friend or relative to do this with, reach out online. I’m in a Facebook group that is extremely supportive and active. If you’re going to do this, I can send you a link to the group.
- Stay positive. If you stick to the plan, you WILL make a huge impact in your health. You may experience setbacks, give into cravings, induldge in a “cheat meal” now and then, but this isn’t a quick fix. This is an investment in YOU. Keep your eyes on the prize and keep on making great choices.
I see Nutrisystem as training wheels; it is a system that teaches you to do this all on your own. It’s not intended to sustain you for years and years. You learn about healthy fats, carbohydrates, proteins and how to use them to lose weight and nurture your body. You also learn how to shop, cook and properly portion your meals. If you want to save $50 on your order, I do have a referral link and I’ll list it below:
One thought on “Things to Know BEFORE Starting NutriSystem”
Pingback: What I Ate On My First Week Of NutriSystem | MommyLaughs